Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Study Paintings

These couple paintings were studies or smaller projects. They each had something that I wanted to practice or work on. The compositions and lighting conditions are just shy of what I'd normally consider for a larger landscape painting. I normally try to go for a time of day gives more vibrant or interesting color or a composition that highlights an atmospheric effect. These aren't by any means awful or boring but they are a hair of a departure from what I ordinarily focus on. 

This one's focus was both the subtlety of the distant fog and trying to work in a more subdued color pallet. I've got a number of paintings of sunsets or subjects that have very vibrant color schemes I wanted to practice toning it down a bit. 

This one was also an attempt to work in a more toned down color pallet. Painting on a cloudy day with the more diffused and even light was interesting. The lighting was definitely not directional and had very few shadows to speak of. The red rocks can be very saturated and colorful in direct sunlight and in the other paintings I've done of them. I had to really try to keep them from getting too vibrant, while mixing the color I kept catching myself creeping in less neutral colors and brightening them up more than they actually appeared.

I'm also going to start taking these and/or my next few and working fantastical or sci/fi elements into them to take them from being just study paintings and make them illustration practice as well. Robots, dinosaurs, sub-terrearean desert worms, space ships, ghost ships from when the desert used to be the ocean. I've got a few ideas ready but if anyone has any interesting ideas I'm all ears, (there is a comment section below) basically nothing is to too ridiculous. The crazier it is the better it would be for me to practice integrating it smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. creature ideas:

    1. dreadnoughtus: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dreadnoughtus-may-be-the-biggest-dinosaur-ever-1.2755590

    2. blobfish & everything here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/10210878/The-worlds-ugliest-sea-creatures.html

    3. chupacabra

    4. echidna, cynocephalus, capricorn goat: http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/list-of-mythical-creatures.html

    5. doedicurus, glyptodon & everything here: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/Iceagemammals.shtml

    6. megatherium (aka GIANT GROUND SLOTH)

    7. goblin shark

    ReplyDelete